Grilled Trout Salad
Recipe - No. 4
Behind the Recipe
Chasing the Feeling of that First Bite
It was cold, that first day on the river by my lonesome. I wasn’t catching diddly squat, and I was ready to return to camp with an empty cooler. Before throwing in the towel, I had a moment… There I was, alone among the mountains, surrounded by the deep greens and snow-capped peaks of the Rockies. Fish or not, the grandeur of it all brought a toothy grin to my face. And I swear to this day, it was at that moment I felt the tug on my line.
Whether your fish is fresh from the stream or straight from the store, this Grilled Trout Salad recipe is a delicious, not-too-heavy course you can bring home and make your own.
As seen in Beyond the Flame with Maddie Brenneman.
- 2 filets, one whole fish
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups salad greens, such as arugula, mesclun, red leaf romaine or baby spinach
- 1 cup mixed herbs, such as parsley, basil, oregano, chives or cilantro
- ½ cup sunflower sprouts
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. tarragon
- Season trout with salt and pepper.
- Slice lemon into rounds.
- Top trout with lemon and rosemary.
- Fill your sink with cool water.
- Toss in salad greens and gently wash until all dirt falls to the bottom of the basin.
- In salad spinner, spin greens until dry.
- Place greens into large salad bowl, adding tomatoes and sprouts.
- Chop onions.
- Mince garlic.
- Combine and mix olive oil, balsamic, garlic, sugar, mustard, and tarragon.
Grill trout over high, direct heat to prevent filets from sticking.
Grill for 8 minutes per inch of thickness, cooking the first side slightly longer than the second.
Once done, let cool for 10 minutes.
Use a fork to pull apart filets.
Add grilled trout to the salad bowl mixture.
Top salad with dressing and serve.
Recipe - No. 4
Try Pairing It With These Other Recipes
Grilled Potato Salad
Recipe - No. 5
Maple Butter Chicken
Recipe - No. 3
Recipe - No. 9
Everything You Need To
Make This Recipe
Grill Tool Set (4-Piece)
#Nexgrill - 530-0025
Silicone Grill Glove